I tried a few weeks ago to do the whole clean your house in zones thing. It makes so much sense to me to thoroughly clean a few rooms one day, a few the next and a few the next on top of the usual stuff that has to be done every day to keep the house wheels turning. The problem was I would clean one zone really well (windowsills and all), then just not get to the other zones like I planned because other stuff took over. So I would have a really clean portion of the house but then our room skipped a vacuum and mop for the week. So I am back to cleaning the whole house on a Monday. My concession was changing our sheets Monday and leaving the kids' beds until Tuesdays!
But Olive is helping me not sweat the small stuff. I am such a person of routine. I love the kids in a routine, I like knowing what is coming myself, I like having things done and ordered. I love planning. Don't get me wrong when I say this, Milo has been showered in affection his whole life, but with Olive I stop and enjoy the cuddle. I mean really enjoy it. Sniff her head, kiss her cheeks and just stretch it out as long as I can. Milo was a toddler before I knew it and I know this lovely baby stage will come to an end quickly.
So yesterday (Monday), when Olive woke up after an unusually short morning sleep and I had only gotten as far as cleaning the kitchen and bathroom I got her up and we cuddled. I mean beautiful, quiet, uninterrupted cuddles. Milo was with his grandparents so we just sat and I enjoyed it. It was the best part of my day actually. She is usually so active and busy (even though she is a snuggly baby) so I stopped and drank her in rather than putting her down to play with her toys and rushing off to finish the cleaning. I just can't imagine anything better. I posted one of the photos above on Instagram yesterday and conversation ensued about whether it really does get better as kids grow up, because I love this stage so much. My friend Olivia told me there is gold in every season, but nothing quite like the baby snuggles.
So today I have to mop the floors because while I finished the rest of the house in her afternoon sleep yesterday, I didn't get that far, and that's ok with me.
As an aside, do you think because I love the baby stage so much God has given me two baldies so they look like babies for longer? I think so!
*And ps - have you heard of Popbasic? They release affordable micro collections monthly and ship free worldwide. If you click the button in the toolbar on the right you will get a $15 credit towards your next purchase! You might have to view this post on your computer though, I don't think you will see the button on a mobile device.


No comments:
Post a Comment