Friday, December 17, 2010

My Favourite Time of Year!

Our (slightly lopsided) Christmas Tree

The Mantlepiece
I get so excited when it's time to get a Christmas tree. I absolutely insist on real - no fake for me! I love the smell and the way a real tree looks.

This year we were late getting one because we were house/dog-sitting for mum and dad. No point getting a tree when we couldn't enjoy it. I had their fake tree set up for when they got home.

Dad agreed to come tree shopping with me because his car boot fits trees (ours doesn't). Tree hunting expedition day one led us to a tree shop recommended by a friend. She must've gotten there in early days (her tree looks fabulous), but having left it late turned out to not be a great idea. There were four sad looking trees left on the footpath outside the shop. They were brown.

Tree hunting expedition day two took us to Bunnings where my boss told me Scouts were selling trees. Apparently only on weekends. Bummer. Tried a local florist, picked out a tree then the shop assistant and I had the following conversation:

Him: 'That'll be $79.'
Me: 'Are you joking??'
Him: 'How much were you hoping to spend?'
Me: 'About $50.'
Him: 'I'll give it to you for $60'
Me: 'Forget it.'

Tree hunting expedition number three took us back to Bunnings on the weekend. Finally scored a tree.

48 hours later at midnight: CRASH!!! Had someone broken in? No. The tree that turned out to be lopsided fell right over smashing some decorations on the way down. I love decorations. My dear friend Milly and I give one to each other every year. I buy a couple every year to add to my collection. And when travel I collect them. Silly tree smashed some. Thank goodness for superglue.

Operation fix the tree: Dad cane over and screwed the tree in place. It's now leaning against the wall.



I still love it. It still makes me happy.

I love Christmas.

No comments: