

When you are still in you twenties like I am it is an amazing thing to be able to say you have been friends with someone for over twenty years. I actually am privileged enough to be able to say that about a few people. There are still friends I catch up with from primary school. And there is one friend that I still catch up with that I have been friends with since before primary school. (See the photos for evidence of this!).
Laura and I grew up living around the corner from each other. Our older brothers were in the same class at school and so we met before we started school and then we went to the same primary school and high school.
We were friends that played dress-ups. There was a cream dress and a blue dress and the blue one was usually fought over. If we had a fight I could storm off home because it was only a thirty second walk away. We would set up chairs and tables in the street, complete with papers and an old phone and pretend we were "Neighbourhood Watch". Yes, some kids set up lemonade stands but Laura and I aimed to protect the neighbourhood instead. Back then it was safe for us to catch the tram into the city by ourselves on a Sunday and spend the day there. Her doll was Susan and mine was Lucy.
We were friends through high school. We may have gotten up to some mischief which I choose not to put on the world wide web. I remember the very sad day when Laura picked up her beloved pet mouse Freckles and realised he was dead. And in January this year when my beloved sixteen year old dog died Laura was there for me too.
Laura lives hours away by plane now with her partner and her two beautiful kids. She came down for a visit last last month and you know what I love and appreciate the most? When we see each other it is never weird, never like months have passed and there is little to say, but it's just the same. The same as it was in primary school and high school. The same as it was before she moved away. And I hope the same as it always will be. Comfortable and normal. Even though it is so comfortable and normal I dedicate this blog to Laura - thanks for years of friendship. I look forward to many more and our kids playing together when I eventually catch up and have some of my own to squeeze! I love you!
(The photo on the left is Laura and I with her beautiful baby Nicola, the other photo is Laura and I with her Grandma, more than 20 years ago!).
3 comments:
Beautifully written and all so true, we're lucky to have each other xoxox
Ps: you didn't crop my arm out!
Because your arm doesn't need cropping, tans make all the difference!
Post a Comment