Sunday, May 30, 2010

Welcome to Africa!

Well I'm here and scored an hour free wifi at the hotel. I'd love to be able to post pictures so you can truly appreciate my stories but I doubt I'll be able to this week, the Internet is a bit dodgy. I will edit all my posts when I leave Africa and insert pictures then.

Chronologically this is the story so far:

Clarence left for Cape Town yesterday morning. I successfully navigated Johannesburg airport by myself. After check in we sat on the bus on the Tarmac for 45 minutes before they told us someone else was using our plane so we had to wait for another one. A lady got on the bus to tell us this as the PA system wasn't working! Next to our flight it simply said "closed". It was hilarious, welcome to Africa! Anyhoo the flight eventually took off and it was a great flight.

Arrived in Zimbabwe and discovered my suitcase did not make the journey. Bummer. A guy at the airport told me to come back today and see if it had arrived. I had to fill in a form with a carbon backing so at least I got s copy but no phone calls were made... Clarence is trying to follow that up for me from Cape Town.

So how does a germaphobe cope in plane clothes with no suitcase?? Better than you think! Turns out my roomie Glenda is OCD like me! She lent me a pair of spare scrubs to sleep in. There were questionable stains on the bed cover so we removed those then anti-bac'ed our hands, turned the sheets over on themselves so we weren't on the bottom sheet against the mattress with no protector and wore jumpers to bed. The shower is fine and we have pine'o'cleaned every surface! I'm actually pretty tough, camping would be cleaner. My sleeping bag is in my suitcase. I was prepared with my scrubs for the clinic, enough toiletrires to get by, my make-up and medicine in my carry on in case this happened.

Then at midnight I woke up with griping pains (warning: TMI to come) and proceeded to evacuate everything I've eaten since arriving Africa. Lucky I haven't touched meat, it could've been worse! I feel a bit off this morning but kept in a Nutri Grain bar thanks to Glenda. All my snacks are in my suitcase...

So people I am actually good! Loving Zimbabwe, loving being here, the team is really nice and I'm
excited about starting clinics tomorrow. We are actually going to a school which Joyce Meyer Ministries (that's the organisation I'm travelling with), run a feeding program through. 23000 kids get a hot meal 5 days a week through JMM so we'll be at schools where some of those kids are.

4 comments:

ctobgui said...

Oh Franni, we are so glad you've been able to cope with the germs to some extent. You are a bonafide camper now????? Praying your suitcase gets to you soon.

Unknown said...

You're a champion! So well prepared :) hope your bags turn up soon! Looking forward to your pictures and next post!

Tafa said...

GOOOOOOOO Franni! I am really proud of you! You know what, just this morning as I was walking to work, I was praying for you.Will continue to do so... Enjoy Africa!
ps. Loving the updates, can't wait to see pictures and all.

KeiraJ said...

I agree with Taf - I'm so proud of you girl! I can't believe what you've been through already and yet still sounding chirpy! You rock, hon!