Thursday, June 13, 2013

DIY project: kids oven

I have got to be honest, I really didn't think I would be one of those mums who blogged and made crafty things. Seriously. Yet here I am blogging (although to be fair I started the blog way before I had kids) and I started my own handmade business... haha! The joke is on me because even though I have always loved writing I didn't really think I was otherwise creative. But since discovering this world of handmade and mummy bloggers I have come across so many great blogs and amazing, creative and talented mums who are exceptional multi-taskers! Who knew this world existed? Apparently heaps of people, I am glad I have discovered this world too!

My friend Laura started making her kids DIY ovens from old pieces of furniture. I would look at the photos she would post on Facebook and think she was a) amazing; and b) wonder where she found the time. I thought Milo would enjoy playing with a toy oven, especially since we haven't been getting out as much while I am sick. I am more conscious of trying to keep him entertained and stimulated at home.

Then Laura told me it was easy and that I could do it... and sent me some links of blog tutorials of how to make these toy ovens. I asked my dad if he thought we could do it as a combined effort. I think I had him at Bunnings (he and Milo love Bunnings). He had such a proud moment as a grandpa when we drove into the Bunnings car park to get supplies for the project and Milo looked up at the sign and said "Bunnings!". Now he has taken to calling it "Bunnings air-house" (Bunnings Warehouse) and loves reading the catalogue and pointing out every "bargain" he can find.

So here are the photos of the oven from start to finish, it really was pretty easy I must say. It was enjoyable too and it's nice knowing we created it and Milo enjoys playing with it.

This is the blog post I used as a guideline and inspiration:

http://outofthecrayonbox.blogspot.com.au/2009/11/build-with-me-lesson-1-supplies.html?m=1

I knew we had an old chest of drawers lying around from my Grandma's old sewing room, so this is what we started with.
I gave it a clean up and a light sand and removed the top three drawers.
I found these spare BBQ temperature gauge and knobs at Bunnings for $3 each!! Maybe that's why Milo thinks everything at Bunnings is a bargain! You could use milk carton lids for the knobs though.
Milo was site foreman and still looks at his oven and says "sawing", coz that's what Grandpa did when he made the splashback.
We removed the bases of the top three drawers to use as the shelves. My dad sawed out the hole in the top for sink and added wood for the splashback. He also fitted a piece of wood to fit where the top drawer had been, to attach the knobs to. 
I painted the oven white and the top and insides of the shelves grey. It took a few coats and the finish was better using a mini roller.
We got a frame from Ikea ($4) and painted the inside of the space we stuck it to with blackboard paint. I got a silver bowl from Coles for $6 for the sink. I used old CDs as hotplates, we glued on old tiles for the splashback, added the temperature gauge and knobs from Bunnings and I sewed a curtain out of an old pillowcase. We kept the bottom drawer for storage of kitchen items and chalk for the blackboard. I got the toy fruit and vegetables from Ikea, along with the kids saucepan and utensil sets.
We added hooks to the other side of the oven to hang the utensils. 
And here we go! Milo updating his specials board. 
I am really looking forward to my next DIY project! It's a sewing one. I found it hard to find one of the things I need and ended up having to get it from an Etsy store in South Korea! Hopefully it doesn't take long to arrive and I can share that with you soon. 

No comments: