Monday, June 24, 2013

The tragedy we can't ignore

Image from cnn.com
Image from http://www.punchng.com/news/world/bangladesh-factory-collapse-death-toll-reaches-1127
Image from http://www.news.com.au/world-news/bangladesh-collapse-death-toll-1127-as-search-ends/story-fndir2ev-1226641578625

Last month a building collapse in Bangladesh claimed the lives of at least 1127 people. The exact toll is not known because the building owners cannot say exactly how many people were in the building at the time. What we do know is that the building was where thousands of Bangladeshi people make the clothes that the west buy and wear. We also know that after some of the workers tried to get out of the building when huge cracks began to appear they were forced back in at gunpoint and locked in to continue working. What happened next is such a terrible tragedy, the building collapsed and over one thousand people died. You can read more about it here. 

In today's Age there is an article about the plight of factory workers in Bangladesh just like the ones who died. They get paid very little to work very long hours to make the clothes that are sold on our shores. This article in particular discusses shirts that are sold at Kmart for $15.00. I don't think this is an issue that should be ignored and I urge you to do something about it.

I don't actually think Kmart should stop getting clothes made in Bangladesh because it would result in people losing their jobs. But I do think they need to advocate for better working conditions and pay for the workers. So today I went to their website and filled in a feedback form about this issue and I urge you to do the same. You can find the feedback form here.

Here is a copy of the letter I wrote to them:

Dear Sir/Madam,

This morning's article in The Age highlighting the plight of factory workers who make Kmart clothes in Bangladesh is of great concern to me, and, I hope, to you as an organisation.

The article can be found here:

http://m.theage.com.au/business/right-now-we-have-nothing-20130623-2oqoj.html

As a customer I do NOT want you to stop using factories in Bangladesh as I believe that leaves the Bangladeshi workers in a more vulnerable position than they are in now. Nor will I be boycotting your store as I don't think that would assist either. 

I would like to see you actively working as an organisation to improve workers' pay and condition in Bangladesh. It would be amazing to see the media reporting on a company such as yours taking a keen and active interest in improving working conditions in Bangladesh. The workers in Bangladesh need jobs which is why I am not suggesting you source your clothes elsewhere, but the conditions and pay they are currently experiencing and receiving are not close to humane.

As suggested by Nobel Laureate Muhammad Yunus in the aforementioned article, a 50 cent surcharge on Bangladesh-made clothes into a fund to provide healthcare for workers and education for their children would be a simple way to start. 

I will be publishing this letter on my blog and facebook page to encourage others to take this issue up with your organisation also. 

I look forward to hearing your response on this incredibly important issue.

Kind regards,

Francesca 


No comments: