Monday, June 28, 2010

Avignon, the City in France Where the Popes Once Lived

Hello! Back in the land of wi-fi after 9 nights camping. We survived. Camping is hard when you are germaphobe. It is hard to keep all your clean things separate from your dirty. It's also hard using communal washing machines (I mean, this is a BIG struggle for me). I ran out of antibacterial in-wash additive... The washing machines in Rome said they automatically added their own, I have to hope that's true. So I am going to write a series of blogs of all the places we visited on our whirlwind tour. We didn't stay in the one place more than 2 nights, so that meant a lot of packing and unpacking the tent, travelling on a bus and late nights and early mornings.

Avignon is a city in southern France. It is famous because the popes lived there once in the 1300's I think. It was a while ago and according to our tour leader they came because France offered a fancy castle, booze and women... Apparently the popes of old lived a bit differently! I don't know how true that is, I will have to check it out. We were only there for a night. It was incredibly windy and there were a lot of homeless people. The baguettes we had for dinner were delicious, as was the chocolate eclair we had for dessert!

No comments: