After Avignon we headed to Antibes, which is a short drive away from Nice on the French Riviera. We spent two nights there allowing a full day in Nice and an evening in Monaco.
You would not have believed that just two days earlier we were in -10 Celsius temperatures on top of a mountain in Switzerland! Everyone's mood on the tour improved as we all thawed out. Clarence and I hired two lounges on the beach with umbrellas and spent the majority of the day there. We left a little bit of time for shopping at the end! I tell you what, it was hard work but someone has to do it! In all seriousness though the tour was exhausting, go, go, go all the time, so relaxing for a few hours was great.
The group then spent the evening in Monaco. It was less impressive than I was expecting. There seem to be a lot of high density apartment buildings. That isn't to say it isn't pretty and a lovely place, I just expected something a bit different. My feet were sore and I had a blister the size of a house so we ended up having McDonald's for dinner to save on walking around too much. The view was sensational, I knew I was guaranteed a garlic and onion free meal and some red meat and we were in good company with our tour leader Clem and cook Casey. We could see a yacht from where we were sitting that had it's own helicopter on the deck. Lifestyles of the rich and famous! Here I was walking around with shoes off in the country that has more millionaires per capita than any other country, tres classy! And tres germy too, but I told you, I've coped with a lot!
This is Prince Albert's palace. It was built over a long period of time so there are a few different styles going on! He was home at the time.
No comments:
Post a Comment