Monday, June 28, 2010

Florence. Great Coffee, Statues and Karaoke


Florence was lovely. We drove from France via Pisa. There is nothing in Pisa except the leaning tower so it was a brief stopover!

Florence is where Michelangelo hails from and it is filled with sculptures and paintings from the Renaissance. We arrived on the day of the St John the Baptist festival, apparently he is Florence's patron saint. That meant fireworks were on that night! They were great. The irony is John the Baptist hung out in the wilderness eating locusts and honey and I doubt would've been a fan of all the fanfare, but tradition and religion seem to be big in Italy. We had dinner out as a group and the restaurant we ate at is joined to a karaoke bar. Picture a bunch of tour groups (Top Deck and Contiki) and a lot of alcohol and a karaoke machine and stage... it makes for a very entertaining evening, even if you are sober like I was!

The next morning we did a walking tour of Florence with a local man called Nicco. It was a great walk and a great way to see the city and hear some of it's history. Clarence had the best latte he has ever had. I would've had one and I am not a coffee drinker, that's how good it was, except soy milk is so hard to come by in Europe. There musn't be many people here who are lactose intolerant! The tour guide at the Vatican City told me they don't grow soy beans in Europe and their milk goes through very little processing, it's very fresh and what is supplied for the day is used that day.

Our campsite in Florence looked over the entire city, it was lovely. Speaking of camping have I mentioned most campsites we stayed at had no toilet seats and only one of them had soap in the bathroom? Hahaha what a challenge!! I did it people, I did it! It was much easier once we were warm!


Clarence ripped it up at karaoke to a Black Eyed Peas song. He was a big hit.

This is Scott and Skye, they are from Australia too. They were a lot of fun to hang out with and Scott said after he saw Clarence sing he couldn't watch anyone else!


Clarence enjoying the best coffee of his life to date. Italy does great coffee AND gelato.

No comments: