The Pompidou Centre (modern art gallery)
We didn't want the day to be a waste as transit days often are, so we decided to get up and organized and head to the Pompidou Centre to check out some modern art. Except we got there and discovered it opened at 11am... Hmmm... That wouldn't leave us with enough time to see it properly before having to head off. We elected to undertake our favorite French pastime instead, people watching. I get that this is best done from an authentic French cafe, however, if you ask them for soy milk they look at you funny, so Starbucks it has to be! Same deal, you get to sit outside and people watch anyway.
I felt sad about leaving Paris despite wanting to see Berlin.
After having arrived in Berlin I have to say it was not what I expected at all. The Lonely Planet Berlin guide said the area we are staying in is one of the prettiest in Berlin. Hmmm... All covered in weeds and graffiti? With ugly buildings? Maybe "pretty" is relative. I guess for a germ freak when the apartment gets changed last minute to one without a washing machine I was a little thrown! I always select accommodation based on these kinds of things... The lady who checked us in was lovely, and the apartment is old, but spacious and light. And there do seem to be some cool boutiques around the place... We went for a walk to check the area out and I will reserve my judgement and not write the whole city off without giving it a chance.

The street we stayed in in Berlin
This church has seen better days I think...
A tram in the main street near us. Weeds everywhere, it appears there aren't any Bunnings stores in Berlin...

Until tomorrow Berlin. We can work on things, I'm prepared to hear you out and give us a shot.
Ps - Yes, the song has been in my head for weeks. Now that you have read the title of this post I am sure it is in yours too. Sorry about that.
No comments:
Post a Comment