Monday, June 13, 2011

I'm sorry, we won't make it to today's staff meeting, we are busy.






12th June - Today Clarence and I caught up with my friend Chin-Mae from work and her girlfriend Claire. She's been overseas since May and I've been missing her heaps, so it was fantastic to see her and Claire.

Note: possibly one of the reasons I love Chin-Mae is her commitment to big hair - check it out! She carries it off very well. I've been in a lift at work with her when a bald man has commented on it. So we met up with them in The Tuileries and I spotted her hair first. She was looking for the bi-racial couple, which gets you nowhere in Paris because it's so common! We had lunch and the waiter told Claire she looked like Annie Lennox. Then we headed to Ile St Louis to introduce Chin-Mae and Claire to Berthillon ice-cream. I don't know what they put in there or how they do it, but it is the best ice-cream on earth. They are going back for more before they leave Paris. I'm telling you, it's life changing ice-cream. I think I'll have it a few more times while we are here...

Clarence and I wandered through the Marais after that. It's such a fantastic place. A very eclectic mix of people, boutiques, bars and shops. It's so strange to feel so at home and normal in another country. But Paris feels normal to us. I said to Clarence at one point "I can't believe we considered canceling our trip, it feels so normal to be here". It's a bit bittersweet because I could really see us living here and I don't know if that will ever happen or when we will be back. My friend Laura who lives interstate now was telling me last time she visited Melbourne that she was looking at people on trams and getting jealous thinking how lucky they are that they must live and work in Melbourne. I feel that way about Paris. I want to be one of the people that get to live here. So does Clarence.

No comments: